Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Many More Trumpet Flowers

Late July has proven to be an absolute bonanza for the Ruby Throated Hummingbirds, around here. There are plenty of insects on the wing, there are four nectar feeders at the house, and there has been an explosion of Trumpet Vine flowers---even more than the first wave back in June. This is one plant with high value to hummers, and in fact this one as far as I know is only pollinated by the hummingbirds. Now, when I say "explosion", trust me. I have two mature loblolly pines that are wreathed in Trumpet Vine, and the aggressive little devil vines are coming out in lots of other places. I leave them alone: good for the hummers. We should continue to see flowers for some weeks. They typically give out quite close to the end of the hummingbird season. Fun for everyone!

No comments: