Thursday, July 7, 2011

Usual Hummingbird Behavior

It's a good bet that at least one nesting cycle is done for the Ruby Throated Hummingbirds. I'm seeing them much more often than I did in mid to late June, and I got a fair number of photos quite readily today. As is typical here, the females run the place. The main nectar feeder (shown) is "owned" by the dominant female, and other feeders appear to be similarly owned by female bird(s). I have no idea how many of them there are. One chase scene only implies a minimum of two. And I have not seen a male since April. It's probably hopeless to figure out what the count is: my four feeders are set so that it's impossible for one bird to see another feeder from any given one, and thus the birdwatcher has the identical problem. For all I know there are three or four birds rotating around me. But who cares? It's enough to enjoy the airshows.

No comments: