Thursday, September 1, 2011

Weird Upticks In August

My little science project for 2011 (keeping track of precise amounts of birdfoods placed outside) has yielded a variety of surprises through the year. One of my long held concepts is that consumption drops at the start of summer and tails off until November. But my data told me the exact opposite: consumption grew pretty steadily for sunflower and reached its second highest month total in...August. Huh?? Safflower has fallen off, and suet, too. Both of those peaked in June when young were abundant. But for whatever reason, seed eating birds -- mostly hungry House "Hollywood" Finches and the stomach-with-wings American Goldfinches are on a tear to clean me out. Will the mob break up? or am I stuck with this gluttonous mass of birds into winter?


No comments: