Friday, September 21, 2012

Already Missing the Coastal Birds

During the time the computer was disabled, I did get away and experience birds elsewhere.  The highlight for August was the annual music conference on Bogue Banks Island on the North Carolina Coast.  I'm already missing it!  I think early morning shore birding was the best, and I enjoyed the antics of Willets (shown), Ruddy Turnstones, Sanderlings, Brown Pelicans, and more.  The shorebird mix isn't extremely diverse in August, but it does allow concentrated study of the ones that are present.  While I got nowhere near the 223 species I reckoned could be encountered at that location at that time of year, the more important consideration was enjoyment of the species that aren't here.  Great time...can't wait until next year. 

No comments: