Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Fibonacci Gangsters

During the colder days of the past week, we've had Blackbirds.  Red Winged Blackbirds.  And lots of 'em.  Over the years it seems they have adopted a Fibonacci number series approach to visiting our property.  You know, 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21...  I remember when one bird, and it always seemed to be a young male (like the one shown) came by, briefly.  The gang grew.  And on Saturday morning, while studying the ice layer on the driveway, I became aware of many "Cong-A-Ree" songs and croaking calls in the trees.  And I counted over 20 birds.  One mob of Blackbirds.  All males that I could see.  All troublemakers? the bird equivalent of a biker gang?  Hard to say.  They may have been forced to reconnoiter for food with their pond habitat frozen up, but that's merest speculation.  So...I wonder.  What's next?  34 birds?

No comments: