Sunday, January 13, 2013

Young Males Seeking Trouble

Like all serious birdfeeders, I must occasionally contend with the visits of more difficult guests.  Among these party bargers are Blue Jays, Common Grackles, and American Crows, all of which can send shivers up the spine with their usually less than mannered approach to feeders.  Fortunately, all of ours have been surprisingly decent characters and I've come to accept them as interesting and uncommon sights.  Then there are the Red Winged Blackbirds.  At first they were rare and exciting.  Then more common and a tad worrisome.  Should I be more alarmed? for this weekend I found about eight of them lurking around the property, and all eight were males.  We have a neighborhood "lake" very close by and I have assumed this was ground zero for the marsh-loving RWBs.  And it may be that there is a very successful clan down there that over time is generating a surfeit of males needing to find new territories.  This winter I may be seeing a serious gang of these outcasts.  Well, no panic button yet.  I've gone through lots worse.  But I am watching them very carefully.  Even blackbirds can outlive their welcome!

No comments: