Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Tufted Titmouse Issues

Some of the most interesting backyard birds are the small ones.  Tufted Titmice (Baeolophus bicolor) is surely near the top of the list.  They are, like their allies in the Paridae family (chickadees, for one) frenetic and fussy.  I usually hear the ones in our property--scolding me from the protection of the trees.  The problem is that I don't see them quite as often as I would like.  One of the reasons is that ours are regular targets for hawks and at one point two years ago ours seemed to have vanished altogether for this reason.  Lately they have been rebuilding and we encounter them more often.  I am hopeful for a busier winter!

Note to readers: I will be off line and not posting through Monday the 19th.  Thanks for following! I will hopefully have some interesting observations to report when I return.

No comments: