Thursday, December 5, 2013

Birds of December: Goldfinch

As we slide towards the shortest day of the year and really appreciate that winter is upon us, it's a great time to reflect on the backyard birds that are our companions for the journey.  Today we'll think about the goldfinches.  American Goldfinch is a true rascal around here, demonstrating a profound appetite for seed and a finicky inability to be a regular at the feeders.  Through November I didn't see too many goldfinches although I know they're around, and consumption has not been too bad in their absence!  They're no longer the most colorful of the usual suspects (I leave that to the cardinals and Pine Warblers) but they are surprisingly welcome sights in winter.  And I am pretty certain I'll be counting a decent number in February's Great Backyard Bird Count once they return to the feeders.  All I need them to do first is clean out the last of the coneflower seeds!

No comments: